Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Lupus questions
An_248187 posted:
Hi, I have a friend that is taking estrogen to live more as a woman and he has just been diagnosed with Lupus which I understand is rarer in men. Could the estrogen/changes in his body have contributed to his diagnosis? If he stops taking it and increases his testosterone, would it lessen the symptoms?
Also, is it safe for him to have sex whilst he has this disease or should be make sure that he wears a condom to protect his partners?

lisatru62 responded:
While I'm not sure about the estrogen thing contributing to the Lupus diagnosis, it is not contagious. Lupus is an autoimmune disease and no one can catch it from someone else.

While Lupus is more common in women, men can also develop this disease. The estrogen may be aggravating his symptoms and can make him feel worse. It is best to run this idea past your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Lisatru62

irishtrees replied to lisatru62's response:
Thanks, I will let him know

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

IE Fix for Picture Cropping
We've found that some of our Members using Internet Explorer have issues with cropping images. If you're trying to crop your profile image ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.