Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Question for Dr. V Celiac Disease
heymartij2012 posted:
Hi Dr. V.

I was diagnosed with lupus earlier this year and began having stomach pain and diarrhea about a month ago. I was diagnosed by my PC with Diverticulosis/Diverticulitis based on symptoms and was treated with very strong antibiotics. Stomach problems have persisted and blood tests for Celiac revealed mildly positive IGA AntiTTG.

My PC suggested that I try a gluten free diet which I did and has helped somewhat but now I am concerned that I won't be able to be diagnosed with Celiac due to having implemented the diet prior to testing. The GI doctor I saw refuses to test for Celiac until he has ruled out everything else.

In the mean time, should I return to a normal diet or stay with the gluten free? I am totally lost and confused. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
In my opinion, it is important to stay off gluten as it might be triggering bigger problems. However, establishing the diagnosis of celiac disease helps you understand if you truly have celiac induced damage to the small intestine and in that situation, it becomes critical to avoid even small amounts of gluten.

If you needed to have a biopsy for celiac, down the road, you could always rechallange the system with gluten for 3 weeks. In the meantime, keep off gluten as much as possible. All the best.

There's an article about Celiac disease and Gluten sensitivity here:

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=df40e4f52ac46ac121f3638fd&id=634c3c368f

samf09 replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
My bloodwork came back positive for Celiac so I didn't need a biopsy. The bloodwork alone was enough for my doctor to diagnose me.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Calcium and womens' mortalityExpert
Recently, some studies have suggested that Calcium supplementation is associated with increase in heart attacks and strokes. However, this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.