Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
numb spots?
leecat41 posted:
Does anyone here have problem with places going number? I have spots that feel numb to the touch but if you hit them just right they send a searing pain. Is this part of the neuropathy that I have? Should these places be getting larger?
To do what is right is not always easy, to do what is easy is not always right.

ssh49tn responded:
I don't know the answer to that, for sure, but you probably need to ask the doctor, just to be sure. My aunt had neuropathy, & she really suffered from it. I do have numbness & tingling in my hands & fingers, & in my feet & toes, but the doctor basically ignores me when I bring it up. I have no insurance, so use a clinic that only takes uninsured people, & sometimes I think I get less than quality care. It took them 8 months to diagnose the lupus, although, a blood test that indicated it had come back positive. In fact, if I hadn't brought it up, we'd still be trying to figure out what was going on. When I asked, she sent me for a specific test for it, so that's when I was diagnosed with lupus.

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
It might be related to the neuropathy. However, the fact that these areas are getting bigger seems to suggest a lack of control over the condition. Please consult with your doctors regarding whether there are additional treatments that could be tried for your condition.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.