Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lupus and adhd medications
suemaz posted:
Newly diagnosed (lupus) close relative is still using ADHD meds at 25. Evidently it helps them to stay awake. Sleep 2 two days awake awake for 2 days. Their sleeping habits are all out of wack. I'm wondering if by now relative should be off the ADHD med by now (age) and if the med is causing more harm than good. Relative is not willing to go off ADHD med because it helps them stay awake. .

lupycakes responded:
I have no idea but it doesn't sound healthy. I think that is something the patient needs to discuss with their doctor who is Rx the medication.

Lisa

lupylisa44 responded:
Many people who have ADHD continue to have it into adulthood, it is not uncommon for adults to be on these meds. It sounds as if your relative may be using the ADHD meds for purposes other than what they are prescribed for which is probably not very good for them. There's not much you can do other than suggest he/she talk to their doctor about it.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.