Tested positive for ANA Titer & Anti-DNA Double Stranded
sg363 posted:
I have recently tested positive for ANA Titer (speckled pattern) and Anti-DNA Double Stranded test....my doctor is going to contact a rheumatologist to look at my lab results. My doctor has not diagnosed me with any particular auto-immune disease yet, but I am guessing my chances of being diagnosed with Lupus are very strong. I don't have symptoms (other than the normal aches & pains of aging, I will be 50 in March), and am in good physical shape, running 2-3 miles a day....I don't think I have any other symptoms of the disease (no skin issues, kidney involvement, etc) but do have some joint pain now and again (which I just chalked up to my age). Could I have tested positive for both of these tests and NOT have Lupus?
lisatru62 responded:
I think you can have a positive ANA and have RA which would account for the sore joints.

MaryConcordNC responded:
Most people who have Lupus (SLE) have a positive ANA. Not all people who have positive ANA have Lupus. Additionally, you can test positive for SLE, but be in remission. There are four patterns I'm aware of:
1) Homogenous - suggestive of SLE
2) Speckled - SLE, MCTD, Scleroderma, Sjogrens
3) Nucleolar - Scleroderma Polymositis/Scleroderma overlap
4) Centromere - PSS w/Crest syndrome
I have been told that higher than 1:40 is normal, 1:40 to 1:80 is weak, anything lower than 1:160 is significant (mine was 1:2560 when I was diagnosed).