Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tested positive for ANA Titer & Anti-DNA Double Stranded
sg363 posted:
I have recently tested positive for ANA Titer (speckled pattern) and Anti-DNA Double Stranded test....my doctor is going to contact a rheumatologist to look at my lab results. My doctor has not diagnosed me with any particular auto-immune disease yet, but I am guessing my chances of being diagnosed with Lupus are very strong. I don't have symptoms (other than the normal aches & pains of aging, I will be 50 in March), and am in good physical shape, running 2-3 miles a day....I don't think I have any other symptoms of the disease (no skin issues, kidney involvement, etc) but do have some joint pain now and again (which I just chalked up to my age). Could I have tested positive for both of these tests and NOT have Lupus?

lisatru62 responded:
I think you can have a positive ANA and have RA which would account for the sore joints.

Lisatru62

MaryConcordNC responded:
Most people who have Lupus (SLE) have a positive ANA. Not all people who have positive ANA have Lupus. Additionally, you can test positive for SLE, but be in remission. There are four patterns I'm aware of:
1) Homogenous - suggestive of SLE
2) Speckled - SLE, MCTD, Scleroderma, Sjogrens
3) Nucleolar - Scleroderma Polymositis/Scleroderma overlap
4) Centromere - PSS w/Crest syndrome
I have been told that higher than 1:40 is normal, 1:40 to 1:80 is weak, anything lower than 1:160 is significant (mine was 1:2560 when I was diagnosed).

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.