Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Donell posted:
    Some of my worst pain is what I have been told by one Dr. as being pleurisy. It knocks me off my feet. The pain is debilitating and it often reaches the point where I can't even move my arms. Another Dr. told me that he doesn't believe what I'm describing is pleurisy, so I'm very confused and unsure as to what is going on. When my pain begins it is a burning feeling in my chest, back, arm and up into my neck. It doesn't feel like heartburn in my throat, but rather on the outside, lymph node area. When I change positions, like from standing to sitting or from sitting to lying down, the pain is very sharp, until I've been in that position for a while and then it seems to calm down.
    Does anybody else experience anything similar to this and if so, have you been told what it is?? Prednisone seems to help it go away, if I up my dose considerably.
    MaryConcordNC responded:
    I have had bronchial problems before, and we treated it with asthma types of medication. With anything like this, you have to first get a diagnosis, then look for underlying cause (which might be the SLE because increasing the prednisone helps, but it can help just as an anti-inflammatory). If I had this problem, I would ask my family physician for a pulmonary specialist referral. They should probably be doing tests like X-ray or CT-scan or MRI or even ultrasound, to see if there is fluid and where it is located. They may even do a thoracentesis, to remove the fluid and test it. Then there is treatment for the immediate problem, and treatment for the underlying cause. So my suggestion is to develop a plan like this.

    With Lupus

    WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
    at work, or with family
    and friends.
    Visit Lupus Day2Night

    Helpful Tips

    Vitamin DExpert
    Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    94 of 124 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.