Skip to content
Donell posted:
Some of my worst pain is what I have been told by one Dr. as being pleurisy. It knocks me off my feet. The pain is debilitating and it often reaches the point where I can't even move my arms. Another Dr. told me that he doesn't believe what I'm describing is pleurisy, so I'm very confused and unsure as to what is going on. When my pain begins it is a burning feeling in my chest, back, arm and up into my neck. It doesn't feel like heartburn in my throat, but rather on the outside, lymph node area. When I change positions, like from standing to sitting or from sitting to lying down, the pain is very sharp, until I've been in that position for a while and then it seems to calm down.
Does anybody else experience anything similar to this and if so, have you been told what it is?? Prednisone seems to help it go away, if I up my dose considerably.
MaryConcordNC responded:
I have had bronchial problems before, and we treated it with asthma types of medication. With anything like this, you have to first get a diagnosis, then look for underlying cause (which might be the SLE because increasing the prednisone helps, but it can help just as an anti-inflammatory). If I had this problem, I would ask my family physician for a pulmonary specialist referral. They should probably be doing tests like X-ray or CT-scan or MRI or even ultrasound, to see if there is fluid and where it is located. They may even do a thoracentesis, to remove the fluid and test it. Then there is treatment for the immediate problem, and treatment for the underlying cause. So my suggestion is to develop a plan like this.

With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Music Video Tips on Managing Chronic Pain!
My newest music video, hope you guys like it! HUGS and ?, JJ "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.