Skip to content
Lupus diagnosis vs tick bourne disease
An_248611 posted:
Recently, i have cross upon articles about tick bourne disease such as Ehrlichiosis which has very similiar symptoms to autoimmune disease like lupus. Base on my reading Ehrichiosis affect the immune system but can be treated with antibiotic if it was detected early. I suddenly recall the years that i was diagnosis of having lupus which was more than 15 years ago when i was only 19 years old. My situation was so rare to have lupus that i have always wonder how could i have lupus especially being in a category with very low chances, that is, 19 years old male. Now, i am just wondering if my situation could have been symptoms of tick bourne disease but left undiagnose for a year then finally causes my autoimmune system to mutate into a lupus diagnosis. I was wondering if someone with the medical or research background to maybe sort out the detail of my theory. My question would be:

1) Can tick bourne disease causes autoimmune diseases like lupus at a later stage?
2) How would physician differentiate between tick bourne disease symptoms (Ehrlichiosis) vs lupus base on lab work? Would a person with tick bourne disease causes a positive lupus panel test?

I have a long story regarding my situation to mention but this is a summary of the theory i have wonder about. Hope to find some logical reasonings.

Thanks

chm73 responded:
I would like to know if anyone has replied to this. My mother, who is 82, was bitten by a tick last year and had what she thought was lyme disease, then she thought it was bartinella. After a comprehensive blood test, all the tick bourn diseases came back negative, and it was positive for lupus, which is very rare for an octogenarian to contract. I believe it came from that tick bite. Did you ever find an answer?

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.