Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Itching/SLE LUPUS
karenspets posted:
I have (Phantom),itching on my left arm and all over my scalp, no rash or dandruff. It's like a PHANTOM THING GOING ON!! Does anyone else have this? I have SLE Lupus

SafariMom responded:
My skin does funny things with indoor light and sun exposure, make sure you are wearing your sunscreen, even indoors. Also, even if I don't have dandruff, the selsun blue seems to help my scalp when it itches.

I read a post on here a while back with another woman with severe itching, hers seemed more of a nerve problem, so that might be a possibility.

Hope you are having an itch free day !

Bonnie

karenspets replied to SafariMom's response:
Thanks Bonnie, I didnt think about wearing the sunscreen indoors, but I'll try it, this itch is not something I need along with everything else. I hope have a Great weekend.

ssh49tn responded:
Well, I have the itching too, but mine isn't 'phantom' since I have a rash, & it's different than the lupus outbreak. I've been on about 4 rounds of steroids, & while that keeps the itching gone, it isn't getting rid of the rash, & as soon as the steroids wear off, the itching is right back like it was. And, I haven't found ANYTHING that stops the itch. My internist thought I was allergic to Plavix, but I've been off of it for about 2 weeks now, & just finished a round of steroids, & the itching has started up again.

love2lol2 responded:
I've had Discoid Lupus for over 30 years now. I too have itching both Phantom and like ssh49tn's. I have hives and the Dr.s have changed my meds thinking it's a side effect but nothing has worked. My right arm and hands get it most of the time but it isn't picky about where it goes. My scalp itches a lot but I'm currently going through a flare so my bald spot is bigger and hair is falling out, along with the Lupus Rash ugh! The phantom itches are popping in and out quite frequently, especially when I don't take the allergy meds every day. it's not uncommon at all from what I've read. Selsun Blue and allergy meds are my best suggestion also.

Hugs and Spoons,
Vicki

ssh49tn replied to love2lol2's response:
I'm using the Selsun Blue, & take benedryl for the itch. Unfortunately, that makes me sleepy, so I am totally worthless. My scalp, plus the back of my neck, are the two worst places for itching. All we can do, is, keep trying to see if we find something that helps the itch.The prednisone DOES relieve the itching, but, it's also why I've gained 15 lbs. If anybody finds anything that helps with the itch, PLEASE let us all know!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.