Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PLMD and Lupus
shakealeg posted:
I was diagnosed with Lupus 12 years ago. Recently I was diagnosed with PLMD (periodic limb movement disorder). It keeps me from getting a good night's rest and it is annoying when I try to relax at the end of the day. I am off work because I can't drive, which is part of my job. I have tried two different types of medications to alleviate this problem, but to no avail. Both meds cause depression, dizziness, nausea and severe mood swings. I am reluctant to try anything else and don't seem to be getting much help by doctors. Any suggestions?

lisatru62 responded:
It always seem like the meds only make us feel worse. Although depression, dizziness and nausea are all pretty bad side effects. I think I know what you mean by the PLMD. When I try and lie down my limb sometimes get twitchy. I have to stretch them out quite a bit. I've found the stretching helps and I try it do it before bed and if I feel the jerking coming on.

I used to get awful leg cramps in the middle of the night that made it difficult to sleep. Usually resulting in being sleepy all day. Slow and easy stretches can help.

Lisatru62

ssh49tn replied to lisatru62's response:
I have the leg cramps at night too, plus the restless moving of my legs a lot. Sometimes it's so bad that, I have to go to bed, & then it will ease up some. I thought it was restless leg syndrome, but my doctor has never really addressed my concerns about it. And, I know next to nothing about lupus, so am learning as I go. I had a bad thyroid, that was removed in Jan of '11, & the side effects of hypothyroidism, & of lupus are VERY similar. (Hair loss, weight gain, etc)

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.