Itchy Skin in Forearm
BearLoLo posted:
My husband is experiencing extreme itchiness in his forearm. He describes it as bugs crawling under his skin. His skin also heats up like it's on fire. Twice a week he says it feels like someone is sticking a large needle through his arm.

My husband went to the doctor. The doctor gave him a topical cream and told my husband it was stress. We have tried everything. The only solution we have found it to ice it.

We have tried everything from home remedies to Chinese medicine. Our next step is to go to the doctor and get blood work done. We don't have health insurance yet so have been putting it off...the itchiness is too unbearable and I feel so bad for my hubby. Getting insurance this weekend.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thank you for your help and any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! Thank you.

ssh49tn responded:
Well, I was diagnosed with lupus nearly 3 months ago, & have had a horrible time with an itchy rash. Mine is on the nape of my neck, & behind my ears though. The ONLY thing that has brought me relief, is, low doses of predinsone, but that has made me gain weight, which I'm NOT happy about. But, going to the doctor as soon as you can,is a good idea. I go to a clinic that only takes patients that have no insurance, otherwise, I'd be in sad shape. I have diabetes, lupus, hypothyroidism, & have had 2 TIAs in the past year & a half. My doctor even gave me some prescription cortisone cream that doesn't relieve the itch. Plus I bought some oatmeal bath stuff to soak in, plus body cream with oatmeal in it. NO relief. I know next to nothing about lupus, but am learning as I go. And, from what I've read on here, nearly everybody that has lupus, has different symptoms than other people. Good luck, & God bless. Let us know if you find out what's going on.

lisatru62 responded:
Beware the doctors who say it is stress. I had lupus like symptoms for 10 years or more and eventually my doctor got sick of hearing my complaints and sent me to therapy because she thought it was stress.

I had horrible rashes, itchy skin and a host of other problems. The topical creams did nothing to help. I eventually got a referral to dermatology who thought it might be autoimmune related and she was right.

Long story short, after 10 years of ignoring my symptoms I now have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Lupus Nephritis which hopefully can be held at bay with medication. The damage is done and can't be reversed. Don't let a doctor tell you it's all in your head.

Demand an ANA test and C3 and C4. There are other blood tests as well that can help pinpoint what is going on. While it might be expensive the cost to your health can be devastating if left undiagnosed.

Lisatru62

ssh49tn replied to lisatru62's response:
I've had the same experience, Lisa. And, if I hadn't SPECIFICALLY asked about lupus, would still be dealing with it. Right after the first of the year, I saw a neurologist, because of severe dizziness that was not an inner ear thing. He sent me for blood tests, which my regular dr got the results of, & had me in to go over them. The pathologist had told her that at my 'age', there was no need to worry. And, the neurologist's office called & said the tests were fine, no need to see him again. I was having so much trouble with the rash & itching, I started looking online, & the break out on my hands looked a LOT like lupus. So I asked, & my tests were 'speckled', so they put me on plaquenil. I'm not a lot better, & the dizziness is still bothering me, but not as bad as it was, & as long as I take prednisone, the itchy rash doesn't bother me as much. So, being persistent CAN get you some where!