Skip to content
How Do You Handle the Holidays?
lisatru62 posted:
With Thanksgiving coming up at the end of this month I'm sure many Lupus sufferers are facing the daunting task of visiting and family get togethers. This can be a particularly draining time of the year for those of us with this chronic disease.

While I enjoy all the family time and of course the feasting I am not looking forward to the shopping, crowded stores and cooking and clean up afterwards. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Wouldn't it be nice to hear others tips on how they cope this time of year with all we have to do? The countdown begins to the kick-off of the holiday season. Those who are struggling with new diagnosis and those who are longtime lupus warriors probably have methods of dealing.

So while keeping on the lupus topic please share how you deal with your illness during the holidays. This includes all the responsibilities, preparation and inevitable discussions about "how are you doing."

Discuss, vent or just give a tip. I would love to hear what others have to say and what they are experiencing. I was diagnosed this time last year.

Hopefully this livens up the discussion board for a few week!

Lisatru62

dozzi responded:
The holidays are always stressful for me last year i got the shingles first time they say stress can bring it on hopefully I don't get it again I was diagnosis with Lupus 2010

lisatru62 replied to dozzi's response:
I had shingles a couple of years ago, do not want it again. I will keep my fingers crossed that they don't come back for you. Yes, stress can make Lupus and other stress related illnesses come out in full force.

Hoping for a happy and stressfree holiday.

Lisatru62

dozzi replied to lisatru62's response:
Thank you and you take care

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great discussion Lisatru!

Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years... seems like the challenge of managing continues on and on!

I can't imagine adding the symptoms of lupus to this fun, stressful and overwhelming time of year.

My only suggestion (only speaking as a tired, busy, mom) is online shopping. Does anyone spend more time online than in stores these days?

Keep suggestions coming,
Elizabeth

lisatru62 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I would have to say online shopping is where it's at. Don't know how I got along without it. The stores are so crowded it really become unpleasant.

I recently discovered a gal who does online cards. You pick the card and message online and she mails them out to your list. What a great idea.

Looking forward instead of back this holiday.

Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.