Skip to content
Ugh! My joints are driving me crazy!!!
lupycakes posted:
Hey all,

Does anyone know of anything I can do for joint stiffness? I don't just have it in the morning - although it is horrible then too - but I have it all day, every day - any time my joints rest for as little as five minutes, I have to "break" them free again. And it's all my joints with my hands and feet being the worst. If I drive or sit for five minutes I can barely walk when I try to get up....

Any ideas on what I can do?

Lisa

((LupyLisa ))). I try to reply to your post but when I hit the reply button , nothing happens. It will only let me post a new discussion . It may be doing that to others as well. If it continues, I will post a new discussion so that it can be fixed. Hope you are feeling well!!!!

lisatru62 responded:
I've been going through the same thing lately. Stiff joints particularly after I've been sitting. When I get up in the morning the walk across the room is taking longer and longer these days.

I don't have any solutions so I will keep an eye on this post to see what other say. I have an appointment with my rheumy this week to discuss. He wanted to see me after I sent him an email about stomach pains. I mentioned some joint stiffness and pain and now he wants to see me.

I've also noticed this stiffness and pain is coming about as the weather gets wetter and colder. Could be a correlation.

Lisatru62

lupylisa44 responded:
Hey Lisa

The only thing that works for me when I get that type joint stiffness is heat. I usually get it in my hands and run them under warm water. As for the rest of your joints maybe you could try a microwaveable heat pad or those thermacare pads.

Are you taking vitamin D? You may want to increase your dose. I take 2000 i.u twice a day and it REALLY helps with my joint pain and stiffness.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupycakes replied to lupylisa44's response:
Thanks Lisa & Lisa! Funny how so many Lisa's have lupus....

Lupylisa - I use to take vit. D but quit because I had one of those, "I'm sick of taking so many d*#@ pills!" spells. I never saw any difference in pain or joint level though with or without the vitamin.

My feet, knees and hips are the worst to gel up in just minutes of none movement. Heat would be nice but not very practical as it's all day problem.

Lupus sucks.

Lisa

lisatru62 replied to lupycakes's response:
I know what you mean, it seems like my entire day is spent taking my organized pill collection. I saw my rheumy yesterday and he wanted to help with the joint pain I've been experiencing. I found that unless you move to the big gun (medication wise) there really wasn't much available due to my kidney issues.

Typically there are NSAIDs and Tylenol. He suggested a drug called Tramadol, I tried it a few years ago for sleep problems but it gave me nightmares. There are a host of drugs for Fibromyalga that they suggest. They are suppose to deaden the pain receptors. But they are also depression drugs so the mental side effects can be scary. There is also Celebrex for joints but if you have bleeding issues, like me, I wouldn't suggest these.

Since I have bleeding and kidney issues it knocks a lot of drugs out of the running. I have done well on percocet. I only take about 5-10mg per day. I tolerate it well, no constipation or nausea. If you're not already taking an opiate pain killer and have no objection you might want to try it.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Another Lisa
Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.