Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alopecia
dlrobards posted:
I have alopecia on the top of my scalp in multiple areas. My dermo has been giving me shots of cotisone to promote hair growth. At my last visit he told me he wanted me to start back on plaquenil because the shots are not effective. I have been off plaquenil for 2 years now and the alopecia started 2 years before I stopped taking plaquenil. I also have reached the "toxicity" level of plaquenil so I am extremly skeptical about starting a drug when I'm not sure it's the problem solver especially since I would put myself at risk for killing my retina cells. Does anyone have any reccomendations for alopecia? Has anyone tried acupunture or any other types of holistic alternatives?
Thx and hugs to all~
dlrobards

lupylisa44 responded:
Have you tried Rogaine for women or Nioxin shampoo?

When I lost my hair from lupus, I also got the kenalog injections which did seem to help. I also used the rogain and nioxin

Here is a link that may help you:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03030/Hair-Loss-Alopecia-Baldness.html

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.