Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is anyone taking atenolol
gringa1 posted:
Hi everyone, I had a visit with my primary dr for my check up. She prescribes my cymbalta for my fibro, anyway, we were talking about all my meds and headaches that I get frequently and more so the hurt I have all time on my forehead. My question is, does anyone take this med for their headaches, is this hurt just part of having lupus and fibro and this med will actually work or am I going to take something that may not be necessary. I'm really confused and I haven't started taking it. Btw, my dr thinks these headaches are migraines. I used to get clusters in the past. Please any input will be helpful.

1stLadyDi responded:
I wish I had something helpful to tell you as I am experiencing the same symptoms & have yet to get any real hhelp or answers with regards to it. Hopefully someone will respond with something helpful for us to consider and/or inquire about, etc.....

lupylisa44 responded:
Atenolol is a beta blocker It is used usually to treat blood pressure or angina. It works by blocking the action of certain natural chemicals in your body, such as epinephrine, on the heart and blood vessels. This effect lowers the heart rate, blood pressure, and strain on the heart. This medication may also be used to prevent migraine headaches which explains why your doctor prescribed it for you.

Give it a try and see if it helps, but keep an eye out for any side effects My own experience with BP meds had not been good. I was getting really achy, with bad back pain and feeling like total garbage while on it. I thought it was lupus/fibro, but as soon as I stopped taking it I started to feel better. Please note that I was on a different class of BP meds known as ACE inhibitors and my experience will not necessarily be what you experience. I was taking it to help prtoect my kidneys and lower my BP.
Just be aware of how the med makes you feel. It might be good to keep a journal to track how you feel while taking it/

If you continue to have migraines. it may be best to see a neurologist to get a diagnosis and a neuro may better understand how to treat your headaches than a PCP

Then next med on the list for me to try is atenolol!!! we can compare notes!!!Keep us posted on how you do on the atenolol and if they help with your headaches

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

gringa1 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Thanks for your input. I waited a whole week before taking the first pill cause of fear of side effects. I took the first pill at bed time, then the next day day had to take at work during midday, which surprisingly I did well.
Is the medication only taken when when having migraines or to be taken everyday... I know, dumb question.

I have not been feeling good lately, I don't know how tell if my pain is lupus or fibro, every time I talk to my rhuematologist he says it's my fibro thats active. But my forehead hurts really bad and my butterfly rash is so present and it constantly burns. Is this a sign of lupus being active??

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.