Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Insomnia
Dotti_P posted:
I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with SLE. I've had insomnia since I was a teenager (in my forties now) but it seems to have gotten worse since my Lupus diagnosis. Does anyone else have insomnia issues with their Lupus? If so, does anything seem to help? I just started taking Plaquenil and wonder if that could be tied to insomnia? I've gotten to where I dread bedtime because it's such a struggle! I take sleeping pills and alternate those with taking Tylenol PM so I don't get dependent on either, I also do all the suggested insomnia tricks: going to bed at the same time, keeping bedroom cool, don't have a tv in my bedroom, try breathing & relaxation techniques before going to bed, etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

lisatru62 responded:
I also had trouble sleeping in my teens and during my forties. I Started getting super exhausted as my Lupus progressed. I also took sleeping aids but found they didn't work all that well. Once I had my diagnosis I stopped the sleep aids all together and found that I was able to sleep better.

It took a little while before I was able to go to sleep quickly without the over the counter stuff but eventually it got better. Now I don't take anything to get myself to sleep and I'm sleeping through the night sometimes up to 9 hours.

I would try to keep a regular sleep schedule and stop using the over the counter sleep aids. They may actually be inferring with your sleep cycle. Also stay away from rich foods, coffee and chocolate after 4pm. Try an herbal tea with no caffiene or other hot beverage. This works for me.

Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.