Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lupus sucks and should i stop taking Plaqlinil?
An_249790 posted:
im new to this forum, but very exsperienced in lupus. i was finally diagnosed in 1996 after ten yrs of being sick and no answers,im just glad that it is easier to dignose. two of my daughters also have lupus,one is 43 and a teacher,and my youngest daughtest daughter who was diagnosed after the birth of her little girl five yrs ago.thankfully they havent had major issues yet. i have had many many problems and several organs have been attacked. im still fighting. thier are days i would like to give up. but i love my family and six grandchildren that i cant!!!!!right now im sick with cold cough thing,feels like flu,but its not.my white bllod cell count ie very low so my body is not fighting infection Dr. says its ears and sinus,has anyone stopped taking there plaqlinil because of problems with infection?

lupylisa44 responded:
Hi, I am sorry that you are having such a tough time right now. Lupus does suck!!! However, Plaquenil is an anti-malarial drug and is considered a DMARD (disease modifying anti rheumatic drug) It is not really considered an immunosuppresant . It could be the lupus is causing your white count to be low on it's own and your immune system is compromised because of the disease not the drug.

The problem with stopping plaquenil is, that if you need to go back on it, it could take a long time to work. It's just like when you first start plaquenil it can take several months to start working.

Do you take any other meds like steroids (which are immunosuppressant) Maybe it's time to talk to your doctor to see if there is something he can recommend to help you get your white count up.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.