Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Not sure about the ana test ?
Blakelyjoe posted:
I have a rash on my legs, feet, arms, upper, torso, back and chest
it started about 3 months ago . red in color some are dime sized some are smaller ,raised .some are in a line and look like scratches .they itch alot . I also have a rash across my nose and cheeks . I have had alot of symptoms that I feel are lupus like symptoms . joint swelling , cold hands and feet ,trouble swallowing , fatige , gullbladder pain , lung pain a few months ago I was in the Dr they did a urin test for something else and there was blood in the test Dr just told me about it but acted like it didnt matter .I went to the Dr 2 weeks ago . He did an ANA test . it came back Negative .
I have been in and out of the Dr. for the past 7 years with weird symptoms . I have been Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, hypothyroid,
arthritis,acid reflux, IBS , . I feel like a hypochondriac. Dr asked me to come back in on monday to look at my rash again .He said is seems like an Auto immune disorder but my ana test was Neg .one of the test came back elevated for inflamation (not sure of the test he did ) He is going to refure me to a Rhumatologist . I am so frustrated .
Are there any other diseases that have the same symptoms ? that are not auto immune related ?

lupylisa44 responded:
There is no single blood test for diagnosing lupus. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE) is diagnosed using 11 criteria. IF you have 4 out of 11 it is likely you have lupus.
  • Face rash, which doctors call a malar rash, that is butterfly shaped and covers the bridge of the nose and spreads across the cheeks
  • Scaly rash, called a discoid rash, which appears as raised, scaly patches
  • Sun-related rash, which appears after exposure to sunlight
  • Mouth sores, which are usually painless
  • Joint pain and swelling that occurs in two or more joints
  • Swelling of the linings around the lungs or the heart
  • Kidney disease
  • A neurological disorder, such as seizures or psychosis
  • Low blood counts, such as low red blood count, low platelet count (thrombocytopenia), or a low white cell count (leukopenia)
  • Positive antinuclear antibody tests, which indicate that you may have an autoimmune disease
  • Other positive blood tests that may indicate an autoimmune disease, such as a positive double-stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive anti-phospholipid antibody test or false-positive syphilis test
  • With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

jujubeee714 responded:
    It is good he is referring you to a rheumatologist. The rheumatologist will be much more knowledgable about the symptoms you are experiencing and the rash. You might want to also ask for a referral to a dermatologist. A derm can do a skin biopsy and that also can help dx if you have lupus. A positive ANA doesn't mean you have lupus and a negative one doesn't mean you don't. Unfortunately. There are 11 clinical symptoms recognized by the ACR to dx lupus. http://lupus.webmd.com/tc/lupus-criteria-for-diagnosis-topic-overview and most rheumatologists use this for dx (you need 4/11)
    Don't be frustrated...see the rheumatologist and let us know what happens. Keep a list of your questions and symptoms. He will do more detailed tests on you as well. Your GP really doesn't have the training to dx or help you with it anyway. Best of luck to you! Love Julie

Blakelyjoe replied to lupylisa44's response:
    Thank you for the information ,
    I feel I have more the 4 of the symptoms on the list .I have read alot about lupus and most of what I read states that 92% of people with ana neg. results dont have lupus . It is all very confusing .I hope the Rhumatologist will shed some light on this situation .I have an appt tomorrow with my Dr. he wants to have another look .hope he can help with the rash

Blakelyjoe replied to jujubeee714's response:
    Thank you for sharing ,
    I have been reading alot about lupus and feel its a bit confusing about the ana test .Most everything I read is saying 92% of ana neg dont have lupus . I hope the Rhumatologist will have better test and information for me . I my go to a dermatologist .thats a good idea ,for this nasty looking itchy rash . I have indured months of it with no relief. Have you heard the term non positive lupus ? I just read about this .People having symptoms but neg.ana test .
    thanks Blakley

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
    With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
    at work, or with family
    and friends.
    Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

MUSIC VIDEOS ABOUT MADE ABOUT LUPUS
    11 criteria to dx lupus: http://youtu.be/iNiXZFmHx-g Lupus pals video: http://youtu.be/nuQW8zMkKN4 Please let me know what you ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.