Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LUPUS DX 24 years ago - Is it correct?
Viewfinder61 posted:
I was told by an Internal Medicine Doctor after five (5) days of testing in the hospital approximately 24 years ago that I "More than likely have Lupus but just to confirm all the testing results I would be referred to a Rheumatologist." However, as the mother of Five young children and without insurance for myself, I could not afford to keep the appointment the IM Doctor had made for me.

Now at the age of 51 I am suffering from pain and swelling in most joints, cannot even force myself to get up and leave the room some days. My hands will often "lock up" on me, I go through "Brain Fog" so badly that my girls want to put me away. There are many other things like severe back and hip pain along with some unreal fatigue at times. The only way to describe the pain is that it feels like my bones hurt not just muscles and often the only thing that makes it better is the hottest water I can find. I am now on disability having heart disease, kidney disease and severe chronic anxiety and bouts of depression, sometimes insomnia and others hypersomnia and hair loss.
My question is this: Does it sound as though the doctor who performed all the tests and made the preliminary diagnosis was correct? I cannot seem to find enough materials in researching to answer all my questions.

1stLadyDi responded:
It sounds to me as though your doctor's preliminary diagnosis was correct. I really hope that you're able to find a way to see a Rheumatologist soon so that you may get confirmation and get some help.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
91 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.