RA and Lupus bring about the same symptoms
Baby_bird posted:
I have been living with RA since I was 18. I have been on remicade, methotrexate, plaquinil, prednisone, and much more for over 10 years. I have done extensive research on RA and my symptoms have often been different from the normal patient. I have tingling and numbness in my hands and feet but hardly any swelling or deterioration. Only at my worst do my hand joints swell or appear arthritic. Now that I am turning 30 I am looking in to other reasons for my symptoms. I have recently experienced odd skin rashes and crazy hair loss. I have bouts of depression and anxiety that tend to last for months. My disease is much different than it was when I was younger. I sometimes think that I am now feeling its full effects and can't seem to grip my emotions about it. This disease now controls my life, I can't work, I have a difficult time with relationships, and my pain is so severe at times I can't move. On top of it all my Rheumatologists just retired. I am unsure of my new doctor and hate to come off as a whiner. I am scared to ask for a lupus test because to some degree I don't think I could handle another diagnosis. When I look at the signs and symptoms of lupus, it seems as though I own them all. Not sure if you all can help, just maybe some kind words to help me along. Thanks.

1stLadyDi responded:
Wow. It seems you've been through much in your life dealing with your illness. It sounds like you're experiencing lupus symptoms as well. You're certainly taking some of the same meds prescribed for lupus patients & those of us with mixed connective tissue disease. I have the latter & am on all of those - never the remicade - for my illness. Prednisone was recently replaced with methotrexate which has helped a lot. I think you should get tested, though, so you can find out exactly what you're dealing with. Be encouraged, my Sister, in spite of the circumstances. You've made it this far. Take care of yourself.

mommawithlupus87 responded:
Sorry there is not to much kind I can really say about Lupus (it sucks ) .... but if you are put on the right meds you can somewhat live a normal life you create a new normal finding out is a hard thing but its important to know as lupus effects your organs . you just have to take care of yourself