Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
false relief
obxcats posted:
I was diagnosed with systemic lupus more than 2 years ago. It was a great relief at that time because I knew something was wrong with me for years. Finally I was able to confront the disease that had been plaguing me for years. It was a rough go for the 1st year as the doctor worked to find the medicine combo i needed. Things improved after the first year however the doctor didn't do anything to educate me on lupus. I just started seeing another rheumatologist because I changed insurance.
I have several other medical problems such as COPD, urinary retention diverticulosis and just diagnosed with lymphedema. Now I'm not so sure that Lupus is the correct diagnosis. I have tried to read as much as I can on the topic which has done little more than confuse me on the subject. So many diseases out there that the symptoms are similar to Lupus. Can someone please direct me to to quality resources to help me educate myself on the topic. I dont want to be taking unecessary medications that i may not need. I dont want to stop taking meds if Im going to go back to feeling the way I was years ago. Im now taking Prednisone, hydroxycloroquine and methotrexate for the lupus. Also i have seen there may be a reaction between Metoprolol and the hydroxycloroquine and need more info on that.

CMNava responded:
try the mayo clinic site.

lupylisa44 responded:
The Lupus Book by Daniel Wallace M.D. Is our bible and the most comprehensive source of information on lupus. Every lupus patient should read this book!!!

Unfortunately, there are many secondary disease that can come with lupus. If you were diagnosed with it, odds are you still have it, but are having other problems as well (not uncommon in us lupies) either from your medication or the disease itself.

The most important thing with having lupus is to educate yourself!!! There are many good websites about lupus. I listed them in the helpful resources section of this board. There is also a ton of other great information there! Click on the See All button to read them all.

Here are some websites I use on a regular basis to find information about lupus:

www.lupus.org

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/

http://www.lupusalliance.org/

http://www.aarda.org/

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
89 of 119 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.