Skip to content
Teeth Pain???
1stLadyDi posted:
Okay, is this possibly my imagination or what? Several of my teeth are not only in pain, but pretty loose. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this possible with this condition? I practice good dental hygiene, so I know this is not the result of the lack of it. Any thoughts?

Jethrine57 responded:
Hi 1stLadyDi. I lost a tooth to mixed connective tissue disease (symptoms combination lupus, RA, scleroderma, sjogrens). Intense tooth pain sent me to a dentist, fortunately I found one who was familar with lupus, and he said it was the autoimmune disease causing the pain...eventually killed the nerve and my tooth died. Good luck.

1stLadyDi replied to Jethrine57's response:
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have all of those symptom combinations. Now I have to go through knee surgery (arthroscopic) on both knees. I went to my dentist and he wasn't very helpful. This is the second time that I've gone to him for tooth pain and he "writes it off" as to my sinuses affecting my teeth (maybe a "low grade" sinus infection). I have started considering even a second opinion there because we only have sinuses above the top teeth. What about the pain on the bottom row? It's painful to eat most of the time.

AnnMaria replied to 1stLadyDi's response:
ok same with me, learned top teeth sometimes in the sinuses, had that tooth pulled due to a bad root canal, not all work, left a hole from gum to sinus and took about 3 months to close...lots of salt water gargling. Also my xrays all looked normal, but insisted on root canals...went to 5 different dentists, all types, finally wound up getting root canals on almost all back teeth, signed a waiver form and when the endodontist went into the tooth they found the nerves severly inflammed and didnt show anything on xray. They were very surprised, I was relieved and now in debt. I have lost 2 teeth, upper left in the back both next to each other, now I hate eating. Good luck and keep pushing and yes sometimes my teeth feel loose.

dlrobards replied to AnnMaria's response:
A few months ago, my upper gums on both sides became hot, inflamed and started to puss. I was brushing my teeth with a sonicare toothbrush after every meal, flossing and gargling with Listerine to try to fight bacteria infection. Tried salt water, soft bristle brush, everything I could think of. My dentist encouraged me to come in every 3-4 months for a professional cleaning to try to help combact the problem but also asked me to consult with my Rhuem dr. My dentist strongly thought my gum inflamation was due to my Lupus. I had been off my plaquenil for approx 16 months. At the same time I had been seeing a dermo and getting shots of cortesone in my scalp to help promote hair growth in my expanding alopecia spots. My Rhuem dr urged me to start back on 300mg daily dose of Plaquenil to reduce overall inflamation. I'm happy to report after 6wks my gum and scalp inflamtion had reduced~not gone but much better. Now I'm fighting the psycological issue of not wanting to be on drugs because I have reached level of toxicity being on Plaquenil. Yes~~~it's scarey of the thought of losing teeth and hair~argh!!!!

Iwillbebetterinheaven responded:
I have had gum pain for years and it's getting worse the older I get, but I don't have tooth pain or loose teeth. I thought I was the only one because anytime I've asked about mouth problems, I don't get replies. I've been using Sensodyne mouthwash and it has helped a little. I also have really bad breath and I think it's related to the lupus, because I didn't used to have a problem. Any thoughts?

1stLadyDi replied to Iwillbebetterinheaven's response:
I really liked the Biotene products & their mouthwash worked pretty well also, as far as keeping your breath fresh. I also used the their spray intermittently throughout the day. While I was struggling with the dry mouth thing due to Sjorgren's, it (Biotene mouthwash) helped me in the area of keeping good breath. While these products can be purchased over the counter, it was cheaper to just get a script from my dentist, who also first started me off with a sample package that had a variety of Biotene products in it. He was very liberal and I appreciated that.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.