Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Another question Dr V.
lupylisa44 posted:
I know you have some experience with alternative treatments and was wondering if you know of any for high blood pressure with lupus nephritis. My high BP is causing problems for me because I have been allergic to all of the meds they have tried. thus far. (ACE inhibitors, ARB's and Tekturna)

There is a lot of information online and it is difficult to decipher it all, especially in my case with so many other things involved. My doctors don't have much, if any, knowledge of alternative treatments so your input would be appreciated!!!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupylisa44 responded:
bump up

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
I do not have much experience using alternative meds for BP. Especially in people with compromised renal function, a lot of the herbs have not been tested and might be dangerous as they may not be excreted from the body. Guided imagery, meditation may be beneficial and I'm not sure if acupuncture might be worthwhile.

lupylisa44 replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thanks! Just thought I'd ask just in case!

lupylisa

Oldschoolgirl responded:
I have Lupus and have had quite a bit of success taking Hawthorn Berry extract for BP. I had many side effects with traditional BP meds, and so this has worked great for me.

gringa1 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Hi Lisa,

I've had friends who done acupuncture treatment with great success, I'm weaning myself off gagapentin and cymbalta and trying herbal for pain and if it gets too bad for me (the pain), will do acupuncture. Tell you one thing, it sure won't hurt to try.
The acupuncturist I will be going to is also a licensed herbalist, who study's eastern chinese medicine.

It's worth a try to look into it, best wishes,

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.