Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lupus and RA/Fibromyalgia
fibronana posted:
I am trying to help a young girl who has been diagnosed with RA. She is afraid that she also has Lupus. Is this possible?

tapmom responded:
Yes it is possible. She needs a double stranded DNA test to confirm. If the ANA test comes out positive, then it's probably lupus too. They do have many of the same symptoms though.

GreyEyedMuse responded:
I have a friend who has both. She was diagnosed with Juvenile RA when she was 10 by her late father, a family doctor; and with SLE when she was 32. The RA has given
her more trouble than SLE over the years.

If it's any consolation to your friend, my friend will celebrate her 55th birthday shortly.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.