Skip to content
Percocet Dependancy
lisatru62 posted:
I've been taking 5/325 mg Percocet once a day for about one year. I've noticed that if I take two per day I feel dizzy, sweaty and generally have flu like symptoms. It is hard to tell if it is from the Percocet or if it is a flare because I usually take a larger dose when I'm feeling more pain.

I know many people who suffer with SLE take some form of pain killer. My doctor said I might become dependent on the Percocet over time. If this is the case shouldn't the fact that I take it everyday keep this symptoms at bay? Has anyone else experienced this?

What exactly is dependancy on this drug? Does anyone have any information on this issue? I've always been worried about this problem but since I take such a small amount I didn't think I would develop a problem.

Thoughts?

Lisatru62

lupylisa44 responded:
When taking percocet or any narcotic pain meds your body can build a tolerance, thus, needing more to obtain the same effect. http://www.dependency.net/learn/percocet/
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lisatru62 replied to lupylisa44's response:
So far I haven't had to take more to get the pain relief I need. I take one a day usually in the afternoons when the pain starts to get bad. I usually try and stay away from pain killers in the morning, they give me a quesy stomach.

When I have a bad day I will take one after lunch and then maybe one before bed. This usually doesn't happen more than once a month and then only for a couple of days. I guess I'm lucky. I just noticed that when I do this I feel sweaty at night, kind of dizzy the day after, almost like I have the flu.

Was wondering if these are symptoms of dependancy or if I'm just taking too much. I haven't built up a tolerance to the percocet yet as I still really feel one tablet.

What is the difference between dependancy and tolerance?

Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.