Skip to content
Lupus and Essure Proceedure
CRMoreland posted:
I was diagnosed with Lupus and RA in 2011. I am wondering what the risks are by having the Essure Proceedure if you have Lupus. Does anyone have any expierence with this (good or bad) - what should I ask my Rhuematologist or OBGYN? Anything I should look out for?

lupylisa44 responded:
The first thing I would worry about is getting an infection. Especially if you are on any immunosuppressive medications. From what I have read this procedure is irreversible and can cause some major complications.

http://www.essureprocedure.net/

Is there a reason you are not considering more traditional methods of birth control like an IUD, the pill or tubal ligation?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

CRMoreland replied to lupylisa44's response:
Lupylisa,
Thank you for your reply... In addition to Lupus I also have Lupus Anticoagulant Disorder, for which I take a blood thinner. I cant take the pill. I was on the Mirena IUD but after removal, when we tried to replace it, (without going into too much detail) my cervix would not cooperate.

As for tubal ligation, I guess the only reason I didn't explore this option is that real surgery is involved. With the essure procedure I can have it done in her office. It just seemed to be the best option for us.

I am really just stressed about the permenance of the procedure I guess... But unless my husband and I lose our minds someday, we really dont want any more children, we have 5. (LOL)

Thank you again for your response, I hope you are well.

Many Blessings,
Cindy

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.