Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Kidney Biopsy...YUK!
lupylisa44 posted:
Could use some prayers and good thoughts!!!

Went to the nephrologist today and she is (strongly) urging me to get a kidney biopsy. I am not too thrilled about it since I nearly bled to death the last time I had one! She is leaving the decison up to me and understands my apprehension.

Apparently the technology is much better than it was 15 years ago, using better sedation, a CT scan instead of an x-ray and numbing the skin before the needle is put in. When I had the first one, they didn't numb me, used an x-ray and didn't sedate me enough (even though I said I needed more and was no where near relaxed enough)

I may be small (5'4" 100 lbs) but have a huge tolerance for most narcotic meds (some genetic/enzyme thing) I also have allergies to anti-anxiety medication as well as some cholinesterase base anaesthesias.
As a result, I jumped about a foot when the needle went in.

It was my first lesson in the importance of being one's own advocate!!! I firmly believe that, had they listened to me, the procedure would have gone more smoothly. This time I am making sure I have all the bases covered (as are my doctors) to make sure nothing like that happens again.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

1stLadyDi responded:
I bid you God's speed & pray that all things go well for you and is as painless as possible. I also pray for much success in your procedure and that the Lord continues to provide His wisdom to the doctors, guiding their hands as they minister to you through their profession in medicine. In Jesus' Name... Amen.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Calcium and womens' mortalityExpert
Recently, some studies have suggested that Calcium supplementation is associated with increase in heart attacks and strokes. However, this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.