No diagnosis... no sign of one...
An_251031 posted:
I have been experiencing symptoms of an autoimmune disorder for about a year and a half now... Ive been to dentists for jaw pain (TMJ pain) an orthoped for knee pain, and a physical therapist before i was ordered a CBC that returned a + ANA result. When I was referred to a rheumo, she did the MOTHER of all blood work and i had a SED rate of 25, i think, somewhere in the 20's. my C proteins were w/in range.. high... but w/in range and after all the tests I have been through I have still yet NO diagnosis. My rheumo (who i like to think is fantastic) is calling it "undifferentiated autoimmune inflammatory disorder" ... i suppose I should mention that my father has been a Lupus sufferer for 25 years, tests RNP positive, and suffers from a slue of other ailments including Reynauds, has had kidney failure, and just 3 months ago suffered a heart attack.

I suppose my question/point I'm trying to ask/make is... I feel a bit frustrated that I don't have a definitive diagnosis... right now my symptoms are some-what controlled with MTX injections and mobic and prednisone daily... but I almost kinda wish I had a more definitive diagnosis to shed some light on my symptoms and if there's perhaps a better road to treatment...as mine is starting to fail somewhat... i feel i struggle daily even while heavily medicated and I dont know... Should I maybe see another Rheumo and get a 2nd opinion? your thoughts? Feel free to be as detailed as possible. Thank you!

Take the Poll

No "definitive" diagnosis... seek new Rheumo?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

lisatru62 responded:
Many who have a diagnosis of SLE struggled for years to get their answer. I went back and forth with several different doctors, even being sent to a therapist because they thought I was a hypocondriac. Got a confirmed diagnosis a year a half ago after 10 years of going around and around with doctors.

You can try another doctor but make sure they really know autoimmune diseases. Sometimes a dermatologist is a good place to go especially if you are suffering from rashes or lumps as I was.

Unfortunately, finding an accurate diagnosis quickly is not how this works. There are too many autoimmune disease out there and they mimic each other. Keep trying and if you stay on your meds things are bound to get better. Sometimes it takes months for the meds to really do their job.

Good Luck!

Lisatru62

allie_bf responded:
I agree with Lisa, getting a diagnosis takes time; finding a treatment plan that works is the priority now. Your rheumatologist will use your response to the medications, your labwork, and your evolving symptoms to make a diagnosis, but this can take months. I know it's frustrating to have to tell family, friends, other health professionals, etc. that you don't really know what it is that you have, but try to focus on whether or not you are making progess, and gradually feeling a bit better, day by day, or not.

4ntate replied to lisatru62's response:
Was part of the reason you had to go to the derm department due to having boils?