Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trying to figure out if my 4 year old has Lupus
mallia921 posted:
I need help. My 3 year old soon to be 4 year old might have lupus. WE have been fighting with doctors for a year now. Her allergist sent her for blood work because she is allergic to 16 different foods. We were surprised by the results. Everything was not normal. (she was 2 then) She had a positive ANA, High CRP level, Her thyroid levels weren't normal. Her rheumatologist said since she seemed healthy and she didn't have the butterfly rash that she was fine. And that her thyroid was of no concern since her levels weren't high enough or low enough to be medicated. We moved back in dec and are restarting the fight to find out what is wrong. My daughter now has a facial rash that would only come when she was over excited or upset. Now it is coming and staying for longer periods. (We are in Alaska and are now getting more day light) She isn't eating really, she doesn't sleep well, and always complaining her "tummy hurts" Now remember she is 3, we don't know if her stomach or another part of her abdomen hurts. She also isn't as playful as she was and wants to just lay down and watch tv. When she is normally all over the place. She also has had major behavior changes in the last month. She has a referral to see a new rheumatologist but are fighting with her normal doctor to get blood work done because the rheumatologist is in Seattle. Now here is my question. Should I be worried she has lupus? I don't know a whole lot about lupus. I'm just a concerned mother who is in unknown territory.

lupylisa44 responded:
Don't give up trying to find answers!!! When she has the rash on her face, take pictures to bring with you to the doctor, in case it is not there at her next appointment. I am not sure why your current doctor wouldn't do the bloodwork. What is his reason for not doing it? If I were you, I would demand that he do it! You must stand up for yourself and your daughter!

Hopefully the Seattle doctor can figure it all out. Whatevery you do don't give up trying to find answers!@

Best of luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little girl

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.