Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sarcoidosis diagnosis and treatment HELP
findingpeacewithpain posted:
Hello all. I have just had a biopsy of my lymph nodes around my sternum and they found it to be sarcoidosis. My sister has lupus that was bad but she has been in remission for about 11 years. Now I have suffered with chronic pain my whole life but since my 2 bunion surgeries last Nov and Aug (on the same foot I might add) I have never recovered. I feel awful most of the time. Tired. Aching. sometimes my skin vibrates with pain. I know this is an auto immune disease but you guys with Lupus have probably had a lot more experience with this. My family thinks sarcoidosis is like fibromyalsia and it does feel a lot like it but now I see a new doc on April 15 and the next course of action is steroids. I am having touble working 2 hours a day teaching as it is. Do you think I will be able to keep working once the prednozone starts?

lisatru62 responded:
Pain is the constant companion of those with lupus. I had pain before I was diagnosed but pain alone doesn't help to diagnose. There are tests that can be run to determine if you have something going on with your autoimmune system. An ANA test is one. Talk to your doctor.

Regarding prednisone, I couldn't do anything when I took it. It made it hard to sleep and I was irritable. Being tired and irritable are not a good combination for teachers. You can try it to see if it works and reduces inflammation right away, just be aware you may not feel so great.

Good luck.

Lisatru62

1stLadyDi responded:
My experience with prednisone was not really bad. I was taking prednisone with plaquenil. The biggest problem that I had was the weight gain that accompanied it and it seemed that no matter what I tried, the weight just wouldn't leave me & I was on a fairly low dose. I gained the weight quite quickly. Now that I'm no longer on it & take methotrexate coupled with plaquenil (my main meds) I am not gaining any more, but I still cannot lose any because my joints do not handle anything well, with the exception of aquatic therapy (my recent discovery). I just had knee surgery & am in recovery. I am planning on going back to aquatic therapy & then some type of aquatic exercise class once I'm able as it was wonderful to at least be able to move (exercise) and not experience any pain afterwards.

Yes, I was able to manage working and happy to get through a 40 week because we need the income to manage our household comfortably. My husband is on a mission to get us debt-free so in the event that I have to come off the job earlier than I planned, we would not be swamped with debts.

With that said, since each person's experience with most types of auto-immune diseases, especially lupus, is different and each reacts to medical treatments differently, time will tell as to whether or not prednisone will be beneficial for you. Best wishes.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.