Skip to content
Any tips for teens with lupus?
LindseyJ posted:
Hi, I'm new to this site, but not lupus. I'm 17, and have had lupus for 5 years. My symptoms had been better for the past couple years, but have recently become the worst I've ever experienced. It's really tough to fight through school and everyday with the pain and worry of how I'll feel, as it seems to constantly be changing. I was told when first diagnosed that I'd be on medication for probably no more than 3-4 years. I dont remember what it feels like to be pain free, and its just hard when you look Healthy but no one believes or understands how you feel. I've been suffering from depression along with this, and just could use some words of encouragement I guess. I just don't know how I can deal with this for the rest of my life. Its been hard to have to grow up faster than the other kids my age. Anyway, I'm aware we all have it hard, I'm not asking for any pity, just your tips. Also, if you had any suggestions about trying to explain lupus to friends that would be amazing! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and responding. Stay strong, Lindsey

1stLadyDi responded:
LindseyJ, I can't imagine what life must be like for you considering that you have to deal with the hardships of this chronic illness at such a young age & while still in school. It's pretty tough just balancing it as an older adult. You're also challenged in areas that several of us who were diagnosed later in life never had to endure. I really liked viewing Christine Miserandino's video clips (discovered these on this webmd site) & her Spoon Theory on dealing with lupus. Her website, "But You Don't Look Sick" (www.butyoudontlooksick.com ) is very helpful as well. Although she is older now, she was diagnosed with lupus as a teen. I this helps some. Stay strong & welcome to this forum.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.