Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does anyone else deal with SEVERE swelling?
leecat41 posted:
My legs swell so bad I can barely stand to walk. I've also noticed in my hands and face. When I get like this I can barely breathe. Anyone else?
To do what is right is not always easy, to do what is easy is not always right.

lupylisa44 responded:
Hi Leecat

Have you talked to your doctor about this swelling? The swelling could indicate something serious like lupus kidney problems. I get swelling all over when my kidney function is compromised. It might be a good idea to see your rheumy.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupylisa44 responded:
http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_donatenow.aspx?articleid=2297&zoneid=43
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

mmcook responded:
I too have swelling. I will tell you what I have found to help. Cinnamon Tea. Don't shrug it off, it does help. Take about a 1/4c. powdered cinnamon and put in coffee filter in your coffee pot ,fill pot with water and pour in coffee maker and brew. I take a jar and a strainer and a paper towel, strain the tea through the paper towel into the jar. Fill your cup and add 2 teaspoons of honey. I do this at least 2 times a day. I hope you will at least try this tea.

dozzi replied to mmcook's response:
What meds are you on I had swelling I was put on Nabumetone for inflammation and hydroxychloroquine for Lupus, it got better

leecat41 responded:
Thanks all. The drs have said that they don't know why. I'm on lasics for the swelling. my rheumy says that lupus doesn't make you swell. I can't take anything with cinnamon because I'm allergic to it. I took myself off the hydroxychloriquin but am still swelling. I'm really about ready to give up. We don't have many drs to chose from around here and the ones that we have don't understand much about it.

lisatru62 responded:
To me swelling is usually an allergic reaction to something. While I would never stop taking a prescribed drug without consulting my doctor I can understand your desire to try to reduce the swelling. Kidney problems can cause swelling. In fact I was warned that if I experience swelling around my eyes or face, or in my ankles or feet to contact the doctor as this could be a result of kidney issues.

There are some simple blood tests that can help determine if your lupus is effecting your kidneys. Please contact your doctor.

Good luck.

Lisatru62

marcie1170 replied to leecat41's response:
See! Our Drds....doctors aren't even educated enough on Lupus,because on the list of symptoms that is placed on a leaflet/card to aducate the public,the Lupus Foundation of America, wrote,"have you ever had swelling in your legs and ankleson both sides at the same time?" They said something was wrong,for sure,but someone tell me something! I read somethings that said,you may still have organ involvement,but may not be showing up yet....?!maky still have organ involvement,but m
Marcie-Moo

leecat41 replied to marcie1170's response:
My rheumy also told me that you would never have bumps with the lupus rash and to call immediately if I felt sharp pains when taking a deep breath. Well, when I got pleurisy I called and they told me that they couldn't help me and if I were having chest pains to go to er because I could be having a heart attack.

He also tested me for the parvo b19 virus and told me that I had been exposed at some point in life but that didn't mean anything. I've read on the internet that that can lead to lupus later. I have no idea anymore.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Calcium and womens' mortalityExpert
Recently, some studies have suggested that Calcium supplementation is associated with increase in heart attacks and strokes. However, this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.