Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cancer
lisatru62 posted:
My life keeps getting better and better. This is sarcasm. My husband was diagnosed with cancer yesterday and is scheduled for surgery on Friday. They aren't sure if it has spread so he has a bone marrow biopsy on Wednesday of next week. He has been feeling ill for the past three months and been off his feet. I've been taking care of him.

His cancer and my lupus makes us quite the pair. There are times when we just look at each others and say "Oh forget it." to whatever needs to get done. I at least was able to make him happy with a lemon meringue pie. It's the little things.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with a loved one going through cancer while the main caregiver has lupus and other autoimmune issues I would love to hear from you.

After the initial freak out from both of us we are working on trying to keep things together and brace ourselves for any bad news, which seems to be the norm nowadays.

Lisatru62

klacp responded:
Some hospitals have support groups. Check into that. When my daughter passed away she was in hospice and this was suggested. Don't know if it was a part of the hospital or they knew of a support group. Best wishes.

lisatru62 replied to klacp's response:
Thanks for the support and good wishes. We just found out that it is a lot worse than originally anticipated, it's Multiple Myeloma. He may have to go through a bone marrow transplants.

His surgery site is healing and he seems to be tolerating the radiation therapy well. On to chemo sometime in the next week or two. It has been very stressful which everyone knows is not help to those with Lupus. I've lost five pounds this week and have a colonoscopy scheduled for next Tuesday. Oh joy!

On the plus side my odds of them finding anything serious must be less due to his Multiple Myeloma. Weird to think that way but it helps.

Lisatru62

SafariMom replied to lisatru62's response:
So sorry to read about your situation. My mother in law has recently been dealing with Multiple Myleloma. I will be praying for you and if you need anything from someone in Alaska, just email me. Bonnie at SamfordMissions@gmail.com.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.