Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GERD AND LUPUS
doxyduo posted:
I found out I have Lupus about 5 years ago. I'm 50 years old. It seems that each flare I get is worse than the last one. I get about 7-8 flares a year and take steroids to control them. I am in a flare right now. I am having problems swallowing, and started choking the other day. I'm a little scared since I have (regurgitated) my food ever since I can remember. I went to the doctor, since my chest also hurts, my upper right shoulder hurts, and my whole back is killing me. I am scheduled for an endoscope on Monday. My Great Uncle died of esophageal cancer, so I'm trying not to worry. Could all this just be inflammation from lupus? Is Esophageal Cancer hereditary?

MichiRoxy57 responded:
I have problems swallowing, chocking a lot and very dry cough that scares me. My diagnostic is mixed connected tissues disorder/lupus just three months ago, everything is new to me, please let me. Know how it goes with your test, I'll be having one too (endo) ...

1stLadyDi replied to MichiRoxy57's response:
MichiRoxy57, I know how you feel as I am experiencing the same symptoms as you are & have been diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease/lupus also. It is real frustrating going through this, especially since you never know when you're going to get a flare up.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.