Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed Man
An_252852 posted:
I am a 46 year old man who was just diagnosed with Lupus (positive ANA and dsDNA test). I have been suffering with hypothyroidism, anxiety, vitiligo, photo sensitivity, kidney disease, memory and concentration problems,extreme fatigue, and chronic rash on face and arms for about 20 years. I have been complaining about these symptoms to my doctors for years but they never put everything together. The only reason they even figured the diagnosis out was because I kept returning to the Emergency room quite a bit over the last 4 years. this disease overtime has pretty much taken everything from me.The doctors just prescribed Hydroxychloroquine which I have been taking for almost 5 weeks. The Hydroxychloroquine seems to have made the rash worse. Any other men with similar medical history have positive results with treatment?

lupylisa44 responded:
There aren't many men on this message board, here is a link to one that is specifically for men with lupus

http://www.mdjunction.com/men-with-lupus

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

SafariMom replied to lupylisa44's response:
My Dr. had me sign a waver stating that I was aware of the risk of Plaquinel and aware that it could make my sun sensitivity worse. I would call your Dr. about it. In the mean time make sure you are wearing your sunblock indoors and out. Neutrogena ultra sheet dry touch SPF 100 is my favorite. When I am in a flare the indoor lightbulbs even bother me, so I spend a lot if time with more dim lights around the house. Fish oil (Carleson brand) helps a lot with pain and stiffness.

Glad that you finally have a diagnosis, sorry that it is Lupus. Hope you are on your road to feeling better !

Bonnie.

MAXDUNN replied to SafariMom's response:
thanks.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.