Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I get a Lupus test?
annabelllee posted:
I am a 34 year old woman that has lupus in my family. However not in my immediate family (parents & siblings) but grandparents and cousins. My grandmothers sister died of lupus, as did my first cousin only 15 years ago when she was my age.
My mother and sister has been pushing me to get the test done, but I thought they were just being over protective. But now after looking more into symptoms, I am a bit nervous. I have extreme fatigue, but have always been use to that because of having anemia most of my life. But now I am developing more and more joint pain and muscle pain, mostly in my hands and feet. I did loose a fair amount of weight when I turned 30, but pushed it off as stress related. I have not noticed extreme rashes or sun issues, but being extremely fair skinned, I am allergic to many things and get rashes easily as well as burn in the sun.
I do not have a current doctor at the moment, as I am just under my 90 days for insurance in my workplace. But I would love to have any advice I can.
Thank you for your help,
Annabell

lupylisa44 responded:
Given your family history , you probably should get tested. The anemia you describe could also be autoimmune related . Don't be surprised if the test comes back negative or inconclusive. It can take years to get a proper diagnosis. The best time to get tested is when you are actually having symptoms. I would suggest you see a rheumatologist to get the testing done. They are the ones that specialize in lupus.

You might want to keep a journal of your symptoms. Track your temperature, BP, weather, what you eat and drink, along with any other symptoms you have on a daily basis. Take pictures of any visible symptoms like selling, rashes etc The reason being, you will be able to show the doctor even if they symptom has disappeared by the time of your appointment.

There is no single blood test for diagnosing lupus. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE) is diagnosed using 11 criteria. IF you have 4 out of 11 it is likely you have lupus.

• Face rash, which doctors call a malar rash, that is butterfly shaped and covers the bridge of the nose and spreads across the cheeks
  • Scaly rash, called a discoid rash, which appears as raised, scaly patches
  • Sun-related rash, which appears after exposure to sunlight
  • Mouth sores, which are usually painless
  • Joint pain and swelling that occurs in two or more joints
  • Swelling of the linings around the lungs or the heart
  • Kidney disease
  • A neurological disorder, such as seizures or psychosis
  • Low blood counts, such as low red blood count, low platelet count (thrombocytopenia), or a low white cell count (leukopenia)
  • Positive antinuclear antibody tests, which indicate that you may have an autoimmune disease
  • Other positive blood tests that may indicate an autoimmune disease, such as a positive double-stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive anti-phospholipid antibody test or false-positive syphilis test
  • With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
    With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
    at work, or with family
    and friends.
    Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
    It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.