Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
memory loss
An_253921 posted:
I thought i was just going nuts but now i see other lupies are having the same issu. sometimes in the morning when i head out to work i go out the door and then have to come back in to check if i left my stove, iron or what ever on. as soon i come back out and get back in my car i can't remember if i did check it or not when i went back in the first time. i sometimes go in and out of my house2 or 3 times. i often forget what i am talking about while having a conversation and i forget words. i forget too many things and i just feel awful. i'm only 37 and i feel that i'm loosing my mind!

SheriValeSmith responded:
I experience the same issues and find memory loss/cognitive decline to be just as hard on me as the pain. My Mum had Lupus and died of renal failure (both sisters have Lupus as well). I had to drop my MBA and the three classes (this fall) necessary to complete by BA. I am currently diagnosed as Fibromyalgia, Connective tissue disorder, and Reynauds (2002, 11 years ago). and have all of the symptoms of Lupus since my stroke this past February (I am 52). I know it is frustrating, especially when talking to a doctor who acts pressed for time. I type out what I need to say regarding symptoms and oddities, and ask the medical staff to add this document to my file. I have a copy to give the Doctor to review with me. This way I don't forget. Give yourself real life cues (for in your car) when you leave the house - such as a written post-it note with the day and "Ready to go" Don't be hard on yourself - let people know about your illness and watch how compassionate they can be.

marshagal responded:

I completely understand what you are going through. I could be mid sentence and then suddenly not remember what i was about to say. Thee would be times when nothing could make my mouth form the words I was trying to say. It is extremely frustrating and scary. What ends up happening for me is that I develop anxiety and start crying because it is so hard to communicate. I've also noticed that it comes in waves. Some days are simply worst than others.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.