Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Imuran for Sjogrens - how long?
sara62 posted:
Hi there,
I was just diagnosed with Sjogren's after a year long painful time. I've had acute, recurring pericarditis and pleuritis and intense chest pain. I've been on immune suppressants since May of 2013. I had a bad time with Cellcept - caused such anxiety and depression. But then I switched to Imuran and felt much better. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with how long one needs to be on these meds? I know they help but they are a bit scary - possibly causing cancer, etc. How do you know when it's time to go off them? My docs don't seem to know. It's now Dec. so that's many months for a person not used to taking so many meds. Any experiences with this? Thanks a bunch!

qianaa responded:
I actually just started Imuran this week. I read that it takes 6-8 weeks before it really takes affect. My rheumatologist said Imuran is better on the body, then prednisone and other drugs for lupus. I also have G6PD so I can not take plaquinil and other medicines. You should definitely monitor, well like you should do with lupus have your blood checked everytime you have your drs visit which should be nothing past every 5 weeks, to make sure everything is right with the medicine and your body. Also that will let the dr know if the dose you are receiving is working with your body and make changes. Best of luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.