Skip to content
Sweats - All Night and Day
jeanbh2 posted:
Hi I have Connective Tissue Disease, plus Thyroid Disease and Pernicious Anaemia and one other autoimmune that so far my Rheumatologisst has been unable to name!!! . I am have a difficult and embarrassing time with sweats. They are disturbing what precious tiny amount of sleep I get and during the day they are very embarrassing as I go from feeling cold to being unbearably hot! My colleagues at work think I am nuts as a rush to open windows etc. - then 10 minutes later I rush to close them as I am freezing!! Is this inability to control body temperature related to the above conditions and is there anything I can do to help control this?

atti_editor responded:
Hi jeanbh2,

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this excessive sweating. Have you spoken with your doctors about your symptoms? I found this article about causes of excessive sweating . I am not a medical professional, but what you describe sounds to me like what the article calls General Hyperhidrosis (it says that it occurs mainly at night and the sweating is all over the body, not localized to hands or feet). This similar article lists thyroid problems as one of the possible causes and has some possible treatments. Setting up an appointment to talk with your doctor about your symptoms and try to come up with an appropriate treatment plan would probably be best for you.

In the meantime, you might see if some of these tips for heavy sweating give you any relief.

I hope that you are able to find answers soon!

-Atti

jeanbh2 replied to atti_editor's response:
Hi Atti
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I did wonder whether this was a side effect of medication I started taking 5 weeks ago - hydroxychloroquine - but I looked this up and it didn't appear to be a side effect. I do take thyroxine - but my levels were checked a couple of months ago and were okay. I am due to see my Rheumatologist at the beginning of April and will mention this to him.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.