Skip to content
Mental illness and lupus
dano330pilot posted:
My wife has been diagnosed for about 20 years. Her Rheumi is an excellent doctor but takes a minimalist approach when it comes to medication. This has worked fine up til now. But, for the last year my wife has developed paranoia and psychosis. Our marriage is all but over because of this and her doctor won't talk to me, confidentiality. I've pulled up several articles about this and my family counselor says this is not that uncommon as lupus patients pass age 60. But, I find no information about this on any lupus web site. The only advice I get is to reach out to her doctor who won't speak to me.

lupylisa44 responded:
Is it possible that your wife's lupus has affected her brain? Lupus can affect any organ including the brain. Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=21147

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebritis
Severe lupus cerebritis symptoms include psychosis , dementia, peripheral neuropathy , cerebellar ataxia

https://www.dana.org/Publications/GuideDetails.aspx?id=50051
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

tay1998 responded:
Hi my name is Taylin. I am currently a year 11 student. I am doing my research project on lupus and your post has stood out to me because its interesting to see how the partners of people with lupus have to cope. I would like to ask you a few questions If you would like to help please email me on taylin.bishop141@schools.sa.edu.au thankyou
Live everyday like its your last 3 Tay xx

ali37791 responded:
I would try to get your wife to a large teaching hospital and see a neuro psychiatrist they will do testing to determine if it is lupus related. If she suffers from neuropathy as a result of her lupus more likely than not there are issues going on with her brain causing her current problems.

I was lucky enough to find a neuro psych who had worked with lots of lupus patients so understood how common lupus can affect the brain.

Good luck.

dano330pilot replied to lupylisa44's response:
Thank you lupylisa44. I will check out every site. This is a new phase of the SLE and the most challenging.

dano330pilot replied to ali37791's response:
Ali, the first challenge is getting her to see the need for help. At this point, she does not. With the support of her friends and hopefully her doctor after the next visit, we can make some headway.

4ntate responded:
Hey Dano first and foremost I would like to say you are a great spouse for trying to help your wife through her trying time. For I to have lupus along with a mental illness. It is not an easy thing to go through. Alot of times we are in such a battle to be who we were that the mental thing just seems like a lupus thing and makes it hard to address. I am sorry I just had a lost moment mi d moving faster than my fi gers but I hope you understand what I was trying to get at.

dano330pilot replied to 4ntate's response:
4ntate,
Sorry it has taken a week to respond. Thank you for your post. My wife accepted some cognitive loss many years ago and we always worked around it and did not let any mistakes become more than a minor thing. The paranoia and delusions are extreme and she won't confront them, she denies them profusely and turns the tables on me saying that I must be a sociopath and liar because I deny any of her allegations.
We are going through a divorce and there is no hope on the horizon that her lawyer will show any moral character and help her rather than exploit her.
Thanks so much for your post.
Dano

lisatru62 replied to dano330pilot's response:
I feel so sorry for your plight, it is a terrible thing to go through but it also sounds a little like dementia. If she is older this might be the possibility. It is very hard to get someone who is suffering from mental illness to the doctor. They all believe it is us, not them.

Good luck and hopefully you can get through to her before it is too late.

Lisatru62

dano330pilot replied to lisatru62's response:
Lisatru62
The more time passes, the more I think it is dementia rather than delusions based on inflamation caused by Lupus. However, the articles are split between delusions caused by an inflammation of the brain and other issues of age, but they can not discount the role the Lupus is playing. They just don't know enough.
I may finally get before a judge next week and ask for an neuro phschiatric eval if her lawyer doesn't talk the judge out of it.
Thanks for your post, it means a lot to me and I think you have made a really good point.
Dano

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.