Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Benlysta and Lupus
112213fm posted:
Hey there
I have been diagnosed with lupus a year ago. Im 17 now by the way, and My Rheumatologist suggested I should start taking Benlysta, I'm worried about the side effects, and don't know if I should start this treatment, medicines are sort of working, but not completely.
Im already taking daily 125mg of Imuran (Azathioprine) 100mg of Plaquenil, and 10mg of Prednisone. Also Iron and Calcium ...
What are some opinions on this treatment? and should I take it or is it too risky?

atti_editor responded:
Hi 112213fm,

While you wait for others in the community to respond, you might find it helpful to read reviews of Benlysta from other WebMD users in our Drugs & Medications Center.

Best wishes,
Atti

lupylisa44 responded:
I am on Benlysta and it really helped me. There is a facebook page called Benlysta Buddies. There is a ton of information and can be very helpful in making your decision. Plus there are lots of people for support You should check it out

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Benlystabuddies/
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

nancyj95 responded:
It is better to get off the predisone if you can. It does a job on your body! I, unfortunately, can't get off it. I have both autoimmune hepatitis and latent tuberculosis which make me not a candidate for other treatments and allergic to plaquenil. I am older but only diagnosed in my 50's. Have been on steroids (medrol) for 15 years. All was fine until they took me off fosomax ( for low bone density) for a two year "holiday" and 23 months into it I tWo compression fractures in my spine and have been diagnosed with steroid induced osteoporosis. Lupus doe not go away. You are in this for the long haul and getting off steroids is important to the rest of your body. i so wish I could!! I wish you luck! Decision making is the worst, but if you trust your rheumatologist, go for it!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.