Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
confused
tarakarr posted:
About a month ago, my family Doctor diagnosed me with lupus.
the ana test came back positive. I am exhausted all the time, lower back, hip, leg and knee pain. my ankles hurt. and I have little knots on my toes. my body just feels stiff. every now and then I get a rash across my lower belly and thighs. usually gone by morning. he sends me to a rheumatologist, upon my visit he tells me he has received nothing from my doctor and asks me why I am there. he asks me a few questions and then gives me a quick physical exam. back in his office he tells me I do not have lupus. that most women in their 40's give a false positive ana test. he suggests I start exercising. I don't know how a rheumatologist works, so my question is can he diagnose or dismiss lupus by just a physical exam? I don't want to go a few years and then they say oops...any one have any suggestions?

hoosiermommy responded:
While it's true that a positive ANA is not definitive, there are other blood tests that can detect other issues, and that can help with a diagnosis. You are right to want some answers, and not wait. It took 3 1/2 years for me to be diagnosed, but, luckily, my doctors suspected lupus or RA and had been treating me appropriately, so when the diagnosis finally came, I had not suffered any organ damage.

If I were you, I would do some online research and print any info about testing that sound like they might be helpful. Take that to your GP, and see if s/he can refer you to another rheumatologist. Even if what you have is not lupus, something is not right, so you need to push people a little bit.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.