Skip to content
Ana test positive in 2008 with symptoms and negative in 2014 with symptoms
mjyates81 posted:
I went to the doctor in 2008 with extreme fatigue and joint pain along with a lot of other symptoms. My ana titer was 1:640 with a strong homogenous pattern. I was then told I have lupus. However, now even with the exact same symptoms a few weeks ago my ana test came back negative???? What does this mean??

So frustrated. The fatigue is ridiculous. It is beyond anything anyone without this can imagine:/

Thanks- MJ

lisatru62 responded:
It took years for my lupus to be properly diagnosed and by then I had developed kidney damage. You have to hang tough and keep on your doctors with your symptoms. Yes, the fatigue is incredible, you feel like you can't even sit up straight in a chair on some days, on other days you find yourself sleeping as soon as you sit down.

ANA tests will go up and down, and just because you had one positive last week and then the next month it comes back negative doesn't mean your cured. An ANA test is an indication that lupus or another autoimmune disease is present. Unfortunately autoimmune diseases flare up and then die down so it's hard to get consistent test results. Kind of like a car that has an intermittent problem, as soon as you take it to the mechanic it stops doing it.

Different symptoms will come and go, some will get better and others will get worse. There are medications that can help to prevent flares or at least lessen their affects. It does sometimes take time for the medications to begin working enough for you to notice a change. It took over a year of medications before I noticed I wasn't having so much fatigue, rashes and achiness.

You are your best healthcare advocate, keep at those doctors.

Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.