Skip to content
Speckled ANA
Littlefox77 posted:
Hello, Hope everyone had a good day and doing well this evening. I have a question, someone told me that if your ANA test came out as Speckled that you have Lupus. Is this true? I appreciate any comments of answer. Thank you. :eyeroll:

K2isKsquared responded:
A positive ANA causes a doctor to then consider the pattern. Because your ANA is negative (1:40) your pattern doesn't carry much weight. The following article may explain ANA and patterns better for you. Please note the fourth paragraph which focuses on patterns. The speckled pattern is seen in lots of different diseases and is not specific to auto immune disease. In fact, the homogeneous pattern is more frequently seen in lupus patients. www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2232 K2

Littlefox77 responded:
Thank you much. I will go read the article. Have a great evening K2.

K2isKsquared responded:
LittleFox, There are lupus patients that have speckled pattern. But Titer is an overriding dx criteria for most docs. Here is an explanation of ANA and Titer: ANA is a test for autoimmunity. Lupus is one of about 100 autoimmune diseases. In an ANA test, they are looking for Anti Nuclear Antibodies. They put the blood they draw from you on slides that have a special substance smeared on the slide. This substance will bind to ANA cells that are present and make them florescent (they glow under a special microscope). If fluorescent cells are seen, the ANA is positive. If fluorescent cells are not seen, the ANA is considered negative. Titer is determined by diluting a positive test (with serial dilutions) until the test shows negative The last dilution which yields a positive result is the titer that gets reported. For example, if a titer performed for a positive ANA test is: 1:10 positive 1:20 positive 1:40 positive 1:80 positive 1:160 positive 1:320 negative The Titer here is 1:160 ? because that?s the last dilution that showed positive. The titer shows how many times the solution was mixed with fluid from the patient's blood to get a sample free of ANAs. So a titer of 1:640 shows a greater concentration of ANA than 1:320 or 1:160, since it took 640 dilutions of the plasma before ANA was no longer detected. A negative ANA is any number LESS than 1:80 (this is one to 80 parts). (Plasma was diluted 1 part plasma with 8 parts diluting solution.) Since each dilution involves doubling the amount of test fluid, it is not surprising that titers increase rapidly. In fact, the difference between titers of 1:160 and 1:320 is only a single dilution. And it doesn't necessarily represent a major difference in disease activity. Lower than 1:20 is considered a negative result. 1:80 is considered a "low positive" and more tests should be ordered. 95% of people with 1:80 ANA do not have Lupus. 1:160 is considered positive and if SED rates and Complement tests are positive, Lupus is considered. 1:320 is a definite positive 1:640 is considered very high.

K2isKsquared responded:
There are eleven criteria used to diagnose Lupus. If you have four or more of them, you may be diagnosed with SLE. Malar Rash: Rash over the cheeks, sometimes referred to as the butterfly rash due to its shape Discoid Rash: Red raised patches Photosensitivity: Reaction to sunlight, resulting in the development of or increase in skin rash and / or other symptoms Oral Ulcers: Ulcers in the nose or mouth, usually painless Arthritis: Nonerosive arthritis involving two or more peripheral joints (arthritis in which the bones around the joints do not become destroyed) Serositis. Lupus arthritis is usually symmetrical ? i.e. both wrists, or both ankles will be involved Pleuritis or pericarditis: inflammation of the lining of the lung or heart Renal Disorder: Excessive protein in the urine (greater than 0.5 gm/day or 3+ on test sticks) and/or cellular casts (abnormal elements the urine, derived from red and/or white cells and/or kidney tubule cells) Neurologic Disorder: Seizures (convulsions) and/or psychosis in the absence of drugs or metabolic disturbances which are known to cause such effects Hematologic Disorder: Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia (white blood count below 4,000 cells per cubic millimeter) or lymphopenia (less than 1,500 lymphocytes per cubic millimeter) or thrombocytopenia (less than 100,000 platelets per cubic millimeter). The leukopenia and lymphopenia must be detected on two or more occasions. The thrombocytopenia must be detected in the absence of drugs known to induce it. Antinuclear Antibody: Positive test for antinuclear antibodies (ANA) in the absence of drugs known to induce it. Immunologic Disorder: Positive anti-double stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive antiphospholipid antibody such as anticardiolipin, or false positive syphilis test (VDRL).

Littlefox77 responded:
Thank you so much. I added these two posts to my favorites, actually your two posts are the one two in my favorites. I am so interested in learning about different topics that have to do with medical issues. You seem to be very educated on this topic. Are you a nurse? I have one last question if you don't mind. LYMPH % of 39.0 H what does this mean, if you know?

K2isKsquared responded:
Littlefox I have had SLE and RA since 1995. I am not in the medical field, but I am a semi-professional web surfer. I like to look stuff up that my doc doesn't explain in a way I'm "getting it." If you want to research items, my fave search engine is dogpile.com As for your Lypmh 39.0 H, I am not familiar with that test. I searched it and got hits on lymphoma sites. I was unable in a cursory check to find normal and / or abnormal test parameters, so I don't know what 39.0 means. I hope you have a doc appointment scheduled to go over your results, and that you have a satisfactory discussion with your doc. Getting an accurate dx can take time. K2

smullinix responded:
The only thing that I can add to this is that when I was 18, my titer was 1:40 with a speckled pattern, and the doctor did nothing. But at 38 yrs old. My ANA is now 1:320 with a speckled pattern. I am now being treated. The reason I was tested at 18 was because I was showing that I had chronic mono and the doctor wanted to rule out other things, too. My duaghter was recently tested at 13 and hers came out negative without any titer done. I just wanted to say this because I wouldn't rule out autoimmune because you could have a positive ANA in the future. :smile: Sue

LupusDiva responded:
Well I have 4 of the 11 criteria you need to have to be Diagnosis I dont have any postive ANA yet but My Rheumy explain to me just cause you dont have a Postive dont mean you dont have Lupus he said he have to look at the big picture. I started seeing him in May of 2008 by August I was Diagnosis of 2008 and he started treatment.

lupyk8t responded:
Littlefox- I wanted to add to your queastion about your LYMPH % number. Lymphocytes are part of the white blood cells/ leukocytes that make up normally about 25% of the total white blood cell counts. There are 2 types of lymphocytes- B cells and T Cells. B Cells are the cells that produce antibodies, TCells recognize foreign material and remove them. An elevated measure of 39% indicates that there is some inflammatory process going on.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.