Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shaking?
FuryanGoddess posted:
My left had seems to shake now.. I've never had this before. The more I try to hold it still, the more I shake? Could this be a side effect of meds? Pred and Plaq? It doesn't even have to be heavy, a piece of paper and it's like instant upon picking it up. I noticed it the other day when me and my daughter were reading and I was pointing to the words.

K2isKsquared responded:
I had some shaking during my worst flare. My hands shook and my head shook. I could be lying on my pillow and my head would just be shaking. My hands would shake especially if I was trying to hold something. I got to where I only drank out of small plastic cups (light weight) and I could only fill them 1/2 way with water. If the cup was full my shaking would slosh it everywhere. I also had one other weird thing -- my thumbs would jump. I described it Rheumy and he was like, yeeeeeeeeeeeah. But then my thumbs did it while he was in the room. That stumped him. Once I got going on my meds for lupus the shaking went away, along with many of my other symptoms. I believe it had to do with some kind of peripheral nerve involvement. I do have some peripheral nerve damage in one leg/foot, so I guess some of my other nerves were getting the once over from lupus at the same time. The best thing I found for the shakes is to lay the hand down on something -- chair arm, etc. It doesn't always stop it, but it does help. Now that my disease is fairly controlled I hardly ever shake, but sometimes my hands will still do it -- like when I have a full cup of coffee. good luck, K2

sghouse responded:
Good Morning, I shake so bad the Rhumey says it is a side affect of the pred. My whole body shakes like I am having tremors! When I am at work, I work with a lot of Seniors they make comments all the time that I shake like an old person :eek: I am taking 60mg of pred right now and I have noticed when I am in the hospital on 125mg it gets way worse. I do not have any advice on how to stop it or calm it down :confused I hope you find an answer but just know you are not alone :goofy: sghouse

HG1948 responded:
I had this in the past, but it hasn't happened during the past few years. HG

marilynk2 responded:
I have shaking in my hands as well but I have had problems with carpel tunnel and have had the surgery on both wrists. I have the nerve prob;ems done both arms and down my legs. My pain management PA wants me to get tested for mercury poisoning as there has been found a correlation between FM and mercury poisoning as well as a lot of nerve pain which = me! It is not covered by insurance but since he is involved in the research of this I have a pamphlet that I get some discount. I am going to get the testing done to see where my level is at and then go from there! Heck, what do I have to lose with all my nerve problems and the effects on my body...severe pain, shakes, cramps... Marilyn

Lupylisa44 responded:
Hi FuryanGoddess! I shake too! I attribute my shakiness to taking steroids (and being a little high strung). It seems like I shake all the time! So much so, that I dont even notice it anymore. I only notice it when someone else looks at me quizzically and asks why I am shaking so much. It was funny when that new $15 vibrating mascara came out. I laughed out loud because I already shake so much when trying to put mascara on I don't need a vibrating applicator! LOL! When I first started steroids (high doses) I was really shaky, but once my body got used to it, it wasn't quite as bad. Ask your doctor next time you see him/her. Lupylisa

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Music Video Tips on Managing Chronic Pain!
My newest music video, hope you guys like it! HUGS and ?, JJ "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.