Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sores that look like burns on back?
Love2craft posted:
I'm brand new to Lupus so there are so many pieces of the puzzle I'm trying to put together. Has anyone else had sores/rash that look like burns? I had one show up on my back a few months ago and it looked like someone burned me with a cigar that's how big it was. It started out as a red, raw blotch and by the next morning it had turned into what looked like a brush burn. I was standing up and all of the sudden felt like my back was burning and raw, that's how I discovered it. It stayed for about 2 weeks and has not happened again. Like many of these other symptoms, it seems like something bizarre that just shows up out of nowhere with no warning or explanation. I'm wondering if I'm alone with this one. :crying:

Patientofmanydiagnosis responded:
Welcome aboard the wolf pack, I wanted to ask you if you've notice if they come about when you've had any sun exposure? A lot of us are alergic to the sun & react in various ways such as rashes. You might also want to get your blood checked PT/INR to see if your blood is thickening or thinning differently. I myself half the blood thickening part involved so I also bruise easy depending on how my levels are. I've also gotten weird red blotches which besides my blood thinners or Lupus in general they haven't explained anything else better to me when I show them pictures of when it happens or have any blotches on my body when I go to the doctor. Hope this helps. Continue to post. You've found the right place to come for support. Staying Strong, Ezra

CrystalMyst responded:
Yes! I, unfortunately, seem to be infiltrated with various skin crazies! I too get the "cigarrette lighter" looking burn sites on my forearms and the calves of my legs. Went to the Dermatologist and she immediately took me in for a biopsy, which came back negative for Discoid Lupus ... but it was basically a skin manifestation related to Lupus. Topical, prescription strength steroid ointment is the only thing that helps any of my rashes. I've had Lupus for probably about 6-7 years and just got the skin problems the past couple years. It's enought to RUN YOU CRAZY though! Nothing helps but steroids. I am going to TRY to go Gluten Free starting today as folks are raving as to how much that helps a lot of body problems because it's a good anti-inflammatory way of eating. Plus, Celiac Disease goes along with other autoimmune disorders sometimes and want to see if I get better being gluten free. Gonna try it. But, you might check into that as well ... who knows ... might help.

FuryanGoddess responded:
Crystal, I had my son on Gluten/casein free diet for 3 years. He has Asperger Syndrome and it did wonderful things. If you need any advice or recipes, feel free to ask.

debw216 responded:
Hello! I was diagnosed in 1991. And one of the first symptoms that I had, was the round red/purple'ish rash that was about the size of a dime. I would get them on the sides of my face starting just in front of my ear, then going down(almost in a straight line) to my chin. Also on my scalp, hands and fingers. Sometimes they would blister and become "ulcer" like. During this time when they would show up, I would feel as if I had the flu. Body aches, fever and chills and extreme fatigue that would last usually about 1-3 weeks or so. Then they would disappear and I would start to feel better again. So my point is, that they always came right before I was going into a flare. I didn't know it then, but finally after being diagnosed it all came together. My Dr. did check me for Lupus and ran blood work for it, but it didn't show up in my blood at that time. You will start to put things together too. Once you are on your way to being more "in tune" with your body and living with this disease. Good luck to you!! DebW

HG1948 responded:
Becky, At least it can't hurt. Keep us posted. Are you going to need to cook all of your food from scratch now? HG

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.