Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Low Motility
stephstew123 posted:
Hi! My DH was diagnosed with low motility. He already takes daily vitamins and eats rightl. Is there anything else that can help? We were told that the only way we could conceive is by insemenation. We see an RE here in a couple weeks. Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

amyaalc responded:
Finding the cause to the low motility would be the best starting place so he should seek the attention of an urologist to address the male factor. Could be a varicocele or some kind of chemical or heat exposure at work. No hot tubs, saunas, sitting long periods of time, keeping laptop on lap...to make sure he's not overheating the testicles. Is he on any prescription medications?

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

stephstew123 replied to amyaalc's response:
Thanks for the information! No, he is not on any prescription medications and he makes sure to not put his laptop on his lap. We have been referred to an RE. Our first appointment is next Thursday. Would you suggest that he visits a urologist also?

jon3brn replied to stephstew123's response:
How did your first RE appointment go?
Me(28) and DH(28), Married and TTC since April 2008, 3 rounds of clomid no success, 6 month break, Jan. 2012 BC for one cycle due to cysts, 1 IUI attempt Feb. 2012

stephstew123 replied to jon3brn's response:
It went good! They recommeded that we try to do an IUI. But, we won't be able to until my March cycle which will be at the end of the month. Got a question for you, did you have an HSG done? The RE said that I could have one done if I wanted to but it wasn't required. Just wondering what I should do.

I am glad that it went well, it is important to feel comfortable with the doctor and the staff. They are going to be the people that you see and talk to on a regular basis. Yes, I did have an HSG done. I do not know if its a requirement but its highly suggested that you have one in order to rule out any blockages or abstructions in your tubes. Meaning that the dye the doctor inserts flows out of the end of the falliopian tubes.

Have you had any testing done prior to seeing your RE?
Me(28) and DH(28), Married and TTC since April 2008, 3 rounds of clomid no success, 6 month break, Jan. 2012 BC for one cycle due to cysts, 1 IUI attempt Feb. 2012

The only test I had done was by my OBGYN to see if I was ovulating or not, which I was. But, I was put on clomid anyway and I did the day 21 bloodwork (which all came back good). That's all that I have had done so far. The HSG costs $1200.00 so I don't really want to do it!

yes the procedure is costly,do you have any fertility coverage through your insurance? You can also take out a personal loan to help fund your infertility treatment. You have a ton of options, if you need some help locating the information let me know and I will see what I can do

No, we don't have any fertility coverage through our insurance. It really stinks. We have some money saved up but it's not lots. I don't know how my DH would feel about taking out a loan. Did you have your IUI already?

I understand your hesitation. We didn't have any medical coverage when we first started. At that time, we were not too concerned, just figured the timing was off. After a year and a half, I became worried. But still didnt have any medical coverage. It wasn't until October of 2010, did we have the coverage to get some tests done. When we did, we find out that he had low motility and low count. But with the insurance we have, they have a infertility program, that will help with the cost of the treatments. But the issue is, we have $3000.00 deductible. So we have to pay that out of pocket until they insurance will begin to cover any treatment.

I have not had it yet, but it is scheduled for sometime this weekend. Tomorrow is my ultrasound to determine if I can take my shot that evening. If that is the case, then it will be Friday and Saturday morning.

amyaalc replied to jon3brn's response:
Jon3brn

Thanks for keeping us posted on your journey.

If your DH hasn't had any physical to assess if he has something like a varicocele you should still have him see an urologist. Could be something on his end very treatable and after motility improves naturally conception would be possible.

Amy

Good luck with the IUI this weekend! I pray that all goes well.

jon3brn replied to amyaalc's response:
We haven't been to a urologist yet. In order to determin if he did have a varicocele, could he see a regular doctor for a check up? Our RE didnt mention anything about seeing a urologist. If he had concerns, I would think he would suggest him seeing one, right?

Thanks! I got my 250-500 shot of ovidrel in the mail tuesday afternoon. A little scary when you take the items out of the box. I just got back from the ultrasound, they drew my blood to test my E2 and LH, to determine if my body is trying to ovulate on its own. From the ultrasound, the lady was not very informative. But from what she did say, she said I had a dominate one of good size on the right with a few smaller ones. Then on the left a few small ones. So they are going to determine whether or not I should wait a day or two more and come back for another u/s or if I am in the clear and I can take the shot tonight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had my sperm analysis after I stopped using the Testosterone for 2 month. And my sperm count shoot to 0.60 !!!! before was 12.000000 . My urologis...More

Helpful Tips

Prostatitis also can be a cause of infertility
[a name="OLE_LINK1" title="Link: undefined">It is known to all that the low quality of sperm is the major cause of infertility, but is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.