Skip to content
Testosterone gel and reproduction
An_246105 posted:
was wondering if a male is using a gel for his low testosterone does this mean that he is unable to have children. or does this help improve his sperm to reproduce.

amyaalc responded:
Does not mean that he is sterile or cannot have children but likely will lower your sperm production resulting in lowered fertility. Some men will drop sperm counts all the way to zero. If you are concerned with your fertility make sure to discuss this with your doctor. We see patients on a regular basis that were not told before the start of testosterone supplements that it could lower fertility.

Good news is that the drop in fertility is usually reversible with the right treatments and management from your Urologist.

Do not consider yourself sterile and use protection if you are not wishing for a child at this time.

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

lcastle06 replied to amyaalc's response:
Thanks for your information. It is so hard to find a good honest information on this subject. My husband has a low sperm count. He has been on testoterone therapy and finally has normal levels. While we realize that may be a problem with his low count, he also was found to have a small varicocele. The urologist told him we sould just consider IVF. We would prefer not to but will try that route if we had no other choice. Do you think its worth having a second opinion with a more hands on urologist?

amyaalc replied to lcastle06's response:
If he is not bothered by the varicocele most don't recommend surgery.

A second opinion never hurts.

It can take some time to get his end worked out so you need to weigh the time you are willing to invest into trying to correct the male factor vs. the cost of just moving onto IVF.

Good luck!

Amy

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

Prostatitis also can be a cause of infertility
[a name="OLE_LINK1" title="Link: undefined">It is known to all that the low quality of sperm is the major cause of infertility, but is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.