Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sperm agglutination
davidanderson posted:
hi,
I am 23 and also single. I am a university student and I study medicine.
I have this problem(sperm agglutination) for about 1 year. Before that my semen was normal but it is sticky since last year.I don't have any symptoms of UTI. Therefore I think it is because of antibodies.
I am so concerned about my infertility. What do you recommend me?
thank you

amyaalc responded:
First of all sperm agglutination is motile sperm that sticks to other motile sperm when evaluated under a microscope not the consistency of the ejaculate.

I think you are having concerns with the hyperviscosity and liquefaction of the ejaculate. An ejaculate thickens after emission of the sample to help the sample remain in the female and buffer from the acidic vagina. Seeing a clumpy consistency is normal. After anywhere from 15-60 minutes it should become liquefied. The hyperviscosity deals with how stickly or mucous like characteristics of the sample. Again the sample as it liquefies should flow drop by drop when pipetted and not have long strands of over 2cm.

Simple things like dehydration and diet can effect your ejaculate. Make sure to keep fluids up. Unless you are having problems conceiving I would not worry about this issue.
Down the road if you are trying to reproduce and pregnancy is not happening after 6-12 months you should have a semen analysis to evaluate the sperm and quality. If the hyperciscosity is flagged as high you can take OTC Mucinex as direct on the package with increased water consumption. Take Mucinex around your partners ovulation window. If still no luck you can have your PSA tested to make sure you are not having any problems with your prostate which produces the chemicals that help liquefy the ejaculate.

Best of luck and thanks for the question!

Amy Perkins, MS, TS (ABB)
Laboratory Supervisor
Arizona Andrology Laboratory & Cryobank
International Center for Vasectomy Reversal

davidanderson replied to amyaalc's response:
thank you very much for your help

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All. My husband and I have been TTC baby # 2 since July 2010 so we are 17 months of trying. I will say it is much easier having my son now. He i...More

Helpful Tips

Treatments or erectile dysfunction
If you suffer from ED, there are plenty of erectile dysfunction therapy options and treatment erectile dysfunction.Then visit erectile ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.